Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A Simple Thank You

This year has been a rough one. Back to back blizzards hit Northern Virginia, and in between, I was diagnosed with walking pneumonia and spent almost 3.5 weeks in the bed/at home.

During that time, I found out how wonderful my neighbors can be. I don't see them very often, as I work full time and usually am sitting at my desk at 5am when they are still in bed .. then when I get home at 2-2:30, they are most likely just returning from their lunch breaks.

We don't do cul de sac barbecues or anything like that ... we are all busy working parents just going about our busy days.

...and I guess what they say is true, that you really don't know about people - until something happens.

During the blizzards, I literally could not take a step without reaching for my inhaler ... and as I watched hour by hour the snow covering my truck, I prayed I wouldn't have to go out in the storm - to the hospital ... cause I'd never make it. my son is still young enough not to have all the strength it would have taken to dig me out ... and surely no ambulance would be able to reach me.

So imagine my surprise when all was cleared, and I managed to stand up without hurling, I peeked out the window and there was my truck....all dug out from the snow.

My son and I just stood in the window ... awestruck...and I did something I rarely do.

I cried.

My neighbors, bless their hearts, ot only cleaned off my truck ... but kept my truck dug out the entire time. They told me they were afraid that I would get worse, and I wouldn't be able to dig my self out if I had to go to the hospital.

I thought that was the sweetest thing - because none of them had to do it.

I made them all cards and gave them containers of chocolate cookies ... just something to say Thank You.

Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.comFree Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.comFree Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.comFree Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.comFree Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

No comments: